Sunday, October 9, 2011

What I did over Fall Break

I remember back in high school and college when I was too spoiled to truly appreciate all the free time I had. In my naive, spoiled point of view, Christmas break went by far too quickly, spring break wasn't long enough by a long shot, and fall break, that glorified long weekend that usually coincided with Columbus Day (a holiday for one of the most celebrated screw-ups in history) was a damn tease.

Oh, for the days when responsibility was nil, and days off were plentiful.

In adulthood, a long weekend is a precious commodity. The only way you can really replicate the type of responsibility-free time off you have as a kid is to retire. Barring that, take time off between ending one job and starting another.

And that's what I did last week.

Some of my Constant Readers already know that I have left state employment for private practice, but for those of you not in the know...I ...left state employment for private practice. That's pretty much all I have to say about that since I don't blog about work as a general rule. Mostly out of courtesy for you all - law practice isn't really that exciting.

But last week the Wife and I took Olivia on her first beach trip with some of my family. You might be questioning our sanity, taking a seven week old on an attempted vacation. You'd be right. By and large, she was great, but take a new baby out of their element and surround her with lots of new stimuli, as well as grandparents, aunts, and uncles all itching to hold her constantly, and you've got a recipe for an overstimulated baby and a destroyed schedule. As if a seven week old has an established schedule.

Nonetheless, we all enjoyed ourselves. Olivia got to visit the aquarium (which I'm sure amounted to a lot of soft colored lights to her), and put her feet in the sand and water on the beach. The latter was a bit cold, and elicited a scream or two. Olivia didn't like it either. It was a good trip and a much needed break.

No comments:

Post a Comment