Saturday, June 2, 2012

requiem

I don't normally spend much time on this blog on things that are very serious. There's enough seriousness in mainstream media that I think there are better ways to spend my efforts on a glorified vanity page.

But some things should not pass without being noted.

Tonight I lost a friend to cancer. Fred was diagnosed a little over a year ago, but by the time they found it, it was metastatic. He fought, and he kept living life to the fullest extent he could. He traveled. He did projects around his house I'm not sure I could have managed with a healthy body thirty years younger. He spent every moment he could with his friends and family. Two weeks ago he went into the hospital, and he never left. Today was his birthday.

Fred was a good man. That phrase gets thrown around, but the truth is there are too few good men left. He expended himself for others more than most people I've ever met. He was a committed Christian, and even in facing this disease he would tell anyone who would listen that he was not afraid of dying - just the suffering beforehand. I'm a Christian too, and I believe we are promised eternal life, but I'm not sure I could honestly say the same thing were I in his shoes. In any event, even the part that worried him is behind him now and he is better for it. This side of heaven just feels a little emptier now.

I met Fred through the Orangeburg Part-Time Players, a community theater group in my home town. He was a founding member, had served onstage or off- in every capacity possible at one time or another, and had literally built the stage the group called home with his own hands.  I was a stupid teenager who got talked into trying out  for a musical by a girl. Despite that, Fred still thought I was worth calling a friend. We worked on many plays together, and he gave me my first summer job during college. We stayed close and I saw him nearly every time I came home to Orangeburg, even when I no longer considered Orangeburg home. He was at my wedding, and my sister's, and he got to meet my beautiful daughter Olivia, for which I am profoundly grateful. He called out the best in the people around him, probably in large part because we knew there wasn't a thing in the world he wouldn't do for us. We wanted to give our all in return.

The worst part of growing up, I think, is that time isn't trucking by for you alone. Everyone else is getting older right along side you. If you live life at all, if you love and share your life with other people, then inevitably you open yourself up to hurt when time takes it's inevitable toll on those around you. And cancer is one of the more pernicious ways this happens. I've lost family to it. Recently a wonderful woman who was a surrogate mother to half my high school class lost an incredibly long battle to cancer. And now Fred.

The last few weeks, visiting Fred in the hospital, a line from one of my favorite bands has played on loop in my head:
There is God in the way that life comes to an end; in the way we all draw to a close; 
In the saying of soul to the house of the skin; you're too weak now to really oppose...
It has kept repeating not because it was easy to see God in the way my friend died, but because I had to remind myself that God was in it even though I couldn't see it. Fred is home. The loss felt by those of us still here does not change that at all.

There will probably not be any grand media coverage, no CNN updates about Fred's passing. He was not a celebrity except to the patrons of the OPTP. And the passing of good men is rarely noted as it should be. But he will be remembered, and those of us who remember him are better for having known him. I am, truly, incredibly grateful to have been able to call him a friend.

Requiescat in Pace, my friend. Until we meet again.




No comments:

Post a Comment