Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monday, Monday

I am a very typical office drone in the sense that I really drag on Mondays. I love the weekends, and it takes me a while to get started on Mondays. I loathe scheduling anything on Monday, and this goes double for Mondays that follow long weekends and days off (yesterday was one such Monday) - there's usually too many fires to put out to make it worthwhile.

Long story short - there's a very short list of things I wouldn't do to avoid Mondays.

Spending seven hours in a hospital with a wife in extreme pain is on that very short list.

My wife is fine, and the baby is fine, and for clarity's sake the baby is still in utero (not a Nirvana album - actually still in my wife). In fact, at no point yesterday was our baby in any distress whatsoever, as evidenced by the constant and enthusiastic kicks she gave the fetal heart monitor my wife wore in the Maternal Assessment Center. You think nails on a chalk board make an annoying sound? Try the squawk of a fetal heart monitor with the volume on ten while your baby does an impression of a Japanese women's soccer player scoring on an American goalie.

I'm sorry. Too soon?

Still, we had a bit of an adventure yesterday, with my wife extremely uncomfortable for the vast majority of the day, and only slightly better today. After seven hours we were discharged, only really knowing what the problem wasn't - no kidney stones or gall stones. Just extremely painful muscle spasms on her right side. Having felt pretty much useless for most of the day (not at all helped by what I think was my first ever migraine) I wonder how I will react when my wife is actually in labor. I kinda hope I can be less of a lump when the time comes than I was yesterday.

Also, although my wife maintains she was perfectly clear in her Facebook post from the hospital, I would like to apologize to anyone who was caused worry, panic, distress, bloating, or mild diarrhea by the post referencing IVs and monitors on her day off. I fielded more than a few phone calls, emails, and texts yesterday, and we are very grateful for your concern. Everyone is fine, and the countdown to baby continues.





Vaguebooking or not? You be the judge.

Great thanks are owed to the staff at LMC's Maternal Assessment Center. They were a great comfort, and very professional. And although waiting in a hospital for seven hours is never going to be a fun way to spend a day, waiting in a private room with a recliner and cable TV is about as good as the experience can get.

For those of you who have asked, my inevitable review of Harry Potter is on the way. I wanted to allow at least the opening weekend to come and go before posting it so those who really wanted to see it without the temptation of spoilers and or positive/negative hype coloring their view would have that opportunity. That said, if you really wanted to avoid all that I suppose you could just not read any such post until after you'd seen the movie. Oh well. Chalk it up to needless courtesy.

No comments:

Post a Comment