Wednesday, June 29, 2011

They did it again!

For those of you buried under a rock, or who do not have a single Facebook friend with a remote connection to the state of South Carolina: The University of South Carolina Gamecocks won the 2011 College World Series last night in a 5-2 win over the University of Florida Gators. There is very little I can add to the voluminous coverage this event has already received, so I'll keep this short, and highlight some of the...high...lights... ahem.

- USC's win last night set new records for consecutive NCAA Tournament wins (16) and consecutive CWS wins (11) .

- USC joins a handful of other schools (six) to repeat as National Champions.

- USC had the distinct honor of having closed out Rosenblatt Stadium, the home of the CWS for over 60 years, in 2010. This year, they have opened the new home of the CWS - TD Ameritrade Park.

Additionally, there are a plethora of individual storylines that are simply phenomenal - Christian Walker playing through a fractured wrist bone not the least of these. But I'm not a sports writer - I'm just a fan who is immensely grateful that they won this series in two games so I can go to bed at a reasonable time tonight.

Well done Gamecocks. You give me hope that my daughter will not grow up despairing because of Gamecocks athletics.

No comments:

Post a Comment